Monday, September 20, 2010

Sorry no updates.

Hi Blogspot and readers.
It's been a long time since I last updated.
It's almost been 2 weeks since I came to the beautiful town of Hanover, NH.

I shall begin my update.

I came here on a very late plane ride. (11:59 p.m)
I got absolutely no sleep at all.
I lie. I got some sleep, but not a lot.
The lady next to me lost her earring, so she kept looking for it.
I happened to have the aisle seat, so she went back and forth.
It was a great start to college life.
It was surreal, leaving my family and friends and the only place I called home to this strange new world with a dearth of trees.
Seriously, there are so many trees here.
Tangent.
Anyways, I cried when I said bye to my family and to my best friends, but I was strangely excited to finally depart to college.

And then, I got to Hanover.
I met a random girl on the plane and we got to know each other on the 3 hour bus ride.
But it was awkward.
I started my DOC trip. (hiking trip)
It was really awkward.
Our group was not very talkative.
The first night, they broke out into a dance party.
I felt so out of place then.
I didn't know how to respond to this.
The music wasn't godly. They weren't dirty dancing (thank God) and I desperately wanted to have fun and get to know people.
However, I was still uncomfortable.
Then, we started our hike the next morning.
It was a HARD hike.
I got altitude sickness.
I had to take a TON of breaks.
I felt bad for my group.
I was this "experienced" hiker, yet I couldn't push the team on.
I was bringing them down.
At this point, I got majorly homesick.
What was I doing at such a place like Dartmouth?
Not only were these kids unbelievably smart and talented, they were athletic too ! :o
I felt so inadequate in so many ways.
Also, I felt myself slipping.
I wanted to impress them. I wnated to show them that I belonged at Dartmouth too.
And so, I saw myself becoming more negative, more sadistic.
They saw nothing wrong w/ homosexuality, when it was clearly against my beliefs as a Christian.
They probably had no idea I was Christian in my time there.
I was a different person.

However, throughout the week, I began to see something different.
I had thought that the people were ungodly and they were nothing like me.
I thought I could never get along w/ them.
But all of a sudden, we started getting along quickly.
We joked a lot, laughed a lot, and had a lot of fun together.
At night, we ended up spooning cuz it was so cold.
Never would I have participated in such and intimate act if I were in La Crescenta, but now I was on my way to try to become less strict on myself.
I began to see their sacrifices for others.
And I began to learn from them.
We ended up becoming so close, that at the lodge, we never separated.
We always ended up coming together and playing games while other groups mingled with each other.
I began to love them, and began to love the Dartmouth community.

It's definitely hard.
The party scene is definitely major here, and it's not really common to find non-partiers here.
I went to a frat one night for 10 minutes.
The reason it was only 10 minutes was cuz it was so disgusting.
It reeked of urine, smoke, and alcohol.
However, God has provided, once again.
I have a nice group of friends.
A group of Christian and a group of non-Christians.
Each are very dear to me.


I am trying to find out God's purpose for me here at Dartmouth.
I am trying different things out, but I guess it's not for me. (acapella)
Maybe there's a greater purpose (Jeremiah 29:11)


I hope I can find it.

But as for now:

Thank you Lord for providing.
I am sorry for being distant these past couple of weeks.
Help me to find you wherever I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment